Wednesday 29 June 2011

Alice:Madness Returns

Well today I purchased Alice: Madness Returns after having pre-ordered it a few weeks ago.  I played the original game from 10 years ago and was really looking forward to this one.  I'm not disappointed as it's stunningly beautiful, has excellent music and runs much better than I expected as I didn't have to lower any settings on my two year old system. 

My BIG gripe is the ridiculous protection and the hoops I had to go through just to install and play it.  I haven't bought a game from EA for years, but now I know why people hate the company so much.  Talk about punishing PAYING customers. 

I want to make it clear that I'm not promoting piracy at all, but I can see why people do it especially with EA games.  First I had to input a serial code which is normal and expected anyway, but then before I could even install it I had to give an email address and password for access to the website, then there was the actual online activation.  It all took much longer than it should have to just install a game let alone play it.
Thankfully, there were no issues with activation otherwise I would have been fuming to say the least.

Then there's no game manual.  All I got was a thin two page pamphlet with basic instructions on installing and how to contact them for support.  Oh, and a little note about how they are saving on paper products and that's why there's no manual.  That wouldn't be so bad except you can only access the manual online IN GAME only, so I can't just browse through it at my leisure without the game running.  Cheap bastards couldn't even come up with an offline PDF version.

At least the game is worth the $89 Aust, which I can't say for some I've bought in recent times. 

The graphics are excellent and crisp and the voice acting is also top notch.  The camera takes some getting used to after playing rpg's for so long and I started playing with the keyboard which works pretty well, but I think I'll continue with a controller for a better experience.  I bought an XBOX 360 controller for the PC last year for another game that I haven't played again except to try it out when I got it home.  It's still in it's package so it's time to break it out I think.

I'll add a couple of screen shots here later.

Meanwhile here's number five of six game play videos that I found very amusing and entertaining to watch. The narrator is hilarious and I've watched the videos a couple of times and I'm waiting now for number seven.
Sad isn't it...lol.

Beware teapots with retinas...as the level is called.

No comments:

Post a Comment