Sunday 4 September 2011

Dead Hard Drive - Again!

I just can't believe this happened today.  My hard drive, which "bricked" itself last year due to faulty firmware from Seagate (original not updated by me) has done it again.

No warnings, even though I have S.M.A.R.T turned on in the BIOS, yet when I exited a game I was playing and tried to view some screen shots I'd taken Windows politely informed me that all data on the drive had been lost.

Then after that I couldn't even access the drive because Windows no longer "sees" it.  I had a hell of a time just to get the computer to boot back into Windows so now I can't shut it down in case it does it again, because it's looking for the drive and can't find it, I imagine.

Luckily, all my important data is backed up, but I'm pretty annoyed that I just hit level 34 in Age of Conan and I imagine that is all gone.  I don't know if that info is stored on their servers, but I doubt it.

UPDATE:  I found out my AOC character is safe on the servers...whew!!!  I don't have to do it all again so soon.

Anyway, I have no idea how long it will take before I can get this REPLACED, not repaired like last time, thank you Seagate.   It's still only just under warranty.

Ironically, my boot drive is nearly 10 years old and still going strong, yet the big drive I use for games, music, video and general entertainment is DEAD.

I guess the old saying "they don't make them like they used to" still applies.

I am not a happy camper. 

No comments:

Post a Comment