Monday 19 December 2011

Learning Curve

I mentioned I bought The Witcher 2 last week and I finally got it installed and played for awhile after downloading nearly a GB in patches. 

Well it's been a bit of a learning curve I must say and I hate Quick Timed Events with a passion.  Didn't know about those beforehand and I detested them in the Resident Evil games.   I only put up with those because the RE series is one of my favourites and I think it's more than a little ridiculous, especially in an rpg like The Witcher 2.

I haven't even made it through the prologue yet, mainly because of Skyrim and other things, but I'm finding it needlessly frustrating in some places.   I have plenty of experience in combat orientated games but the system used in this game leaves something to be desired.   I guess I'll persevere though as the story sounds good, the graphics are stunning and it will probably get easier.

The weird thing is I chose to do the tutorial just to familiarize myself with the mechanics and because I died in the arena stage with one enemy still alive the game decided I should play in Easy mode according to  my performance...which is a laugh in itself because it is not easy by any means.  It's not so much the combat as the instructions on screen that flash on and off telling you to use this or that power which if I hadn't done the tutorial I would have no idea how to use and still don't effectively.  I have a good memory but the manual is no use in fast situations like that. 

Also some things aren't explained in the manual very well.  I had no idea what to do with the mutagens as the manual just says put it in an available slot.  Saying where would be nice.  I eventually worked it out but it was annoying.

Anyway, if I want to play the game I have to be sure to continue to access the game within a 2 month period or my code is revoked and I have to reinstall....and download those big patches again.  I assume if I just load the game now and then that will suffice if I don't get time to play it straight away.  Skyrim comes first.

No comments:

Post a Comment